Thursday, January 5, 2012

"When good Americans die, they go to Paris."


Who else but Oscar Wilde? The quote is from Wilde's 1893 play, A Woman of No Importance.

Except for the dying part, I'd love to go to Paris. An opportunity is coming up this March for a tour, but the timing is just not working out for me.

When I do finally get to Paris (trying to stay positive), one of the first places I'd like to visit is Shakespeare and Company. It's a bookstore, first opened in 1951, that has become a haven for authors, readers, and lovers of literature. The bookstore's original owner, George Whitman, died December 14, 2011. My gosh, just reading Mr. Whitman's brief bio on the the bookstore's website here makes you want to read an entire book about him (wonder if there is one).

Lots of "ghosts" at Shakespeare and Company. At least they knew how to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment