Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wander up I-57


Sure, I want to travel to places thousands of miles away (and I have been fortunate to visit Australia, Italy, England, Scotland, and Spain). But I can't always afford an international trip.

Sometimes you just need to go down the road a bit. Day trips can be wonderful. For example, in March, our college is offering a day tour from Champaign, Illinois to Chicago, to see the Broadway musical, "FELA!" What I know about this musical is that it is the story of the Nigerian musician and activist, Fela Kuti, and the musical won Broadway's top award, the Tony.

So, by hopping on a luxury charter bus heading north on I-57, I'll be transported to a far away, unfamiliar land, Nigeria. I'll learn a bit about the culture, the politics, and best of all, the music.

Wanderlust doesn't have to be expensive or difficult. You can make it happen. For a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment